Tract Consultants was engaged by the City of Port Phillip as principal consultant within a Project Team to deliver two concurrent and interconnected projects; the St Kilda Foreshore Connections Project and the Fitzroy Street Streetscape Plan. The St Kilda Foreshore Connections Project is the first of many ‘precinct renewal’ projects within Fitzroy Street. At a broader scale and in consultation with the community, the Fitzroy Street Streetscape Plan involved preparing a high-level urban design and landscape vision for the whole of the Fitzroy Street public realm.
The aim for the St Kilda Foreshore Connections project was to foster connections between Fitzroy Street and the foreshore area. The project established a new road and plaza layout, DDA compliant tram stop, Copenhagen style bicycle facilities and improved linkages and spaces for pedestrians which facilitate a range of day, night, event and transit based uses.
The project achieved these connections through the implementation of six major design initiatives:
- Re-alignment of Fitzroy Street at Jacka Boulevard;
- Development of a Cleve Plaza shared-use zone;
- DDA compliant tram super stop (as part of a wider government initiative);
- Dedicated two-way ‘Copenhagen Style’ bicycle path along Fitzroy Street;
- On-road cycling lanes within Jacka Boulevard; and
- Redesign of Cleve Gardens and Catani Gardens edges to accommodate new path systems.